Hurt due to unsafe property conditions in Oregon or Washington State?
Call (503) 238-1010
Clark Law and Associates, LLC handles the following types of Oregon and Washington State premises liability cases.
- Slip and Fall
- Trip and Fall
- Tenant Injuries on Property
- Attractive Nuisance for Children
- Business Invitees
- Social Guests
- Dangerous Conditions on Property
When is a property owner or possessor liable for injuries on their property?
Merely being injured on the property of another does not mean the property owner or property possessor is liable. For instance, if you trip because your shoe lace is untied and suffer injury, the property owner of where you tripped and fell would not be liable. However, if the property owner or the possessor of the property was negligent in some way, then you may be entitled to damages due to your injury on the property of another. Generally, a property owner has the following common law duties:
- Reasonably inspect their property for dangerous conditions
- Warn of any dangerous conditions, until the condition can be repaired
- Repair the dangerous condition
In addition to common law duties, there may be state, county or city ordinances that give rise to strict liability for dangerous conditions on their property. For instance, in Portland, Oregon property owners are responsible for keeping sidewalks safe. See Portland City Code, Sec. 17.28.020 and also responsible for snow and ice removal from sidewalks. See Portland City Code, Sec. 17.28.025.
If you can prove that the property owner or possessor was negligent, you must then show that the injuries you suffered were a direct and proximate result of negligence.
What should I do if I am injured on the property of another?
- Use your cell phone to photograph the scene of where you were injured.
- Photograph your injuries.
- Promptly report to the owner or possessor of the property that you were injured.
- Seek prompt medical attention.
- Truthfully report to your medical providers how you were injured.
- Call Clark Law and Associates, LLC at (503) 238-1010.